The Douglas County Library & the Douglas County Historical Society jointly present this series of three class on you and your DNA:
Class 1 – Aug. 22nd at 3:30 pm: Before you Spit, Know your Kit!
- What DNA kit is right for me? Ancestry? 23 and Me? MyHeritage?
- What can I expect from my results?
- Which website will fit my needs?
- What is a centiMorgan anyway?
- Learn about what your results will look like, how private they will be, and how your DNA fits your family tree.
Class 2 – Oct. 17th at 11 am: Starting Genetic Genealogy
- What do Ethnicity Estimates really mean? How are my DNA matches related to me?
- We will cover sorting your DNA matches using the Leeds method.
- We will cover the basics of building your family tree in this session, with more information in the third session.
Class 3 – Oct. 24th at 11 am: Building Trees to Solve Mysteries
- Families can be confusing – genetics included.
- This session will cover building trees up and down to solve mysteries and figure out relationships.
- What are the best ways to contact your DNA matches for answers?
- How can I leverage my DNA kit and genealogy websites for answers?
- How can my local Historical Society help?